Virtual event, November 29th - December 3rd, 2021
Call for Participation
Stimulus design is an often acknowledged threat to validity when studying gaze in programming. This hands-on EMIP workshop focuses on how to design stimulus source codes and corresponding tasks for eye tracking studies in programming. We will also discuss pitfalls when devising stimuli and how to avoid them.
Prior to the workshop, participants will work on a warm-up task and prepare source codes and other stimulus material to discuss at the workshop. During the workshop week three synchronous meetings will take place on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, lasting about two to three hours. The times will be determined according to participants’ time zones.
Workshop results will be compiled into a report and we are aiming at a joint publication as with previous workshops, such as:
- Teresa Busjahn, Carsten Schulte, Bonita Sharif, Simon, Andrew Begel, Michael Hansen, Roman Bednarik, Paul Orlov, Petri Ihantola, Galina Shchekotova, Maria Antropova: Eye tracking in computing education. ICER 2014: 3-10
- Teresa Busjahn, Roman Bednarik, Andrew Begel, Martha E. Crosby, James H. Paterson, Carsten Schulte, Bonita Sharif, Sascha Tamm: Eye movements in code reading: relaxing the linear order. ICPC 2015: 255-265
- Roman Bednarik, Teresa Busjahn, Agostino Gibaldi, Alireza Ahadi, Mária Bieliková, Martha E. Crosby, Kai Essig, Fabian Fagerholm, Ahmad Jbara, Raymond Lister, Pavel A. Orlov, James H. Paterson, Bonita Sharif, Teemu Sirkiä, Jan Stelovsky, Jozef Tvarozek, Hana Vrzakova, Ian van der Linde: EMIP: The eye movements in programming dataset. Sci. Comput. Program. 198
The opening presentation will be given by Raymond Lister.
To participate send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org until November 8th, 2021. Prior experience with either program comprehension or eye tracking is beneficial for participation, but not required.
- Begin of warm-up task: November 1st (Monday)
- End of registration period: November 8th (Monday)
- Synchronous workshop session: November 29th (Monday)
- Synchronous workshop session: December 1st (Wednesday)
- Synchronous workshop session: December 3rd (Friday)